Monday, August 6, 2007

Lavender Diamond @ Siren Music Festival


I rode the train all the way out to Coney Island for a peek at Siren 2007.

I knew I only had a couple of hours to scarf some Nathan's dog, load up on swag and catch some of the bands - a lot to do in not a lot of time but I just couldn't stay away.

I caught a bit of Elvis Perkins (fine and folky) and the Noisettes (tearing it up, as usual) before I staked out my place for Lavender Diamond. They were one of the few bands playing that I hadn't seen live.

I always thought their music was a little eccentric, walking a fine line between sweet and psychedlic, but nothing could prepare me for the group's lead singer Becky Stark - a 1950s Doris Day in appearance with the soul of a 60s flower child.

Becky acknowledged that Coney Island, as we know it, is about to be decimated, but she offered up a plan for rebuilding: an eco-friendly amusement park complete with roller coasters powered by solar panels!

Okay, I've seen stranger things.

And yes, she thanked everyone for bringing about "peace on earth".

No, she's not confused, it's just a Becky Stark thing.





1 comment:

thatseaofflashingsapphires said...

Hey!! I was there! Good performance..was that the year with Stars and Serena Maneesh? too bad the sound systems sucked so bad!