Saturday, July 12, 2008
Tim Fite @ Mercury Lounge - 7/11/08
You may know Tim Fite as a singer/songwriter and all around out of this world performer. But the Brooklyn artist played host with the most when he invited a few of us blogger types to a pre-gig pizza party at Mercury Lounge.
Pizza and chatting was a great way to spend a Friday but Tim upped the ante when he pulled out some blocks of clay and told us that the theme of the party was Pizza vs. Monster with the goal being to sculpt your own monster and pizza and then decide who would win in a fight.
I went for a multi-colored shark but Tim won the monster derby hands down.
On the more serious front, his lo-fi genius is at work again on his new album Fair Ain't Fair (Anti). It's out now and has definitely gotten a lot of spin at the SWR lair.
Some notes on the disc . . .
According to Tim, who usually likes to record straight through, the process for this one was more of a stop-and-go affair since his gigs kept getting in the way.
I feel a bit guilty because I was at one of those gigs - Town Hall where he opened for Adam Green- and it's sure to land in our Top 10 shows of the year.
And how did Tim end up playing for Adam - they'd been "peripheral friends" for years and had always wanted to play together and this time around it just worked out.
Now that the album's done, Tim will be hitting the road hard to promote it but we already know how he'll unwind when the tour comes to an end.
Here's the 3 Day Tim Fite Unwind Process straight from the man himself . . .
Day 1 - Sleep
Day 2 - Unpack
Day 3 - Shave
You can catch Tim live in the following cities . . .
- July 14 - Montreal, Quebec : Club Lambi
- July 15 - Toronto, Ontario : Lee's Palace
- July 16 - Pontiac, Michigan : The Pike Room at the Crofoot
- July 17 - Chicago, Illinois : Lakeshore Theater
- July 18 - St. Paul, Minnesota : Turf Club
- July 19 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin : Cudahay Pub at Pabst Theater
- July 21 - Denver, Colorado : Hi Five
- July 23 - Boise, Idaho : Neurolux
- July 25 - Seattle, Washington : Tractor Tavern
- July 26 - Portland, Oregon : Doug Fir Lounge
- July 28 - San Francisco, California : Bottom of the Hill
- July 29 - Los Angeles, California : The Echo
- August 7 - Salt Lake City, Utah : Gallivan Center (Twilight Concert Series)
Our attempt at a clay shark chomping down on some pizza